Hey there lovelies, welcome back!
Glad you could join me again this week. I hope your last week was fulfilling. Thank you for coming alongside this journey with me…it sure means a lot to me. Coming up, in subsequent weeks, perhaps months, I’ll have a big announcement to make. I have something in the works that I’m super excited about, and I will let you in on it in due course. The business at hand today involves styling polka dots + stripes-match made in heaven.
I’m pretty sure it has not gone unnoticed that this coming spring fashion trend is heavy with the black and white theme. Polka dots specifically. if you follow me on IG, you’ll see that I am super biased when it comes to styling black, as minimalist as that may sound, there are certainly ways to circumvent that and add some drama.
Why Polka dots? First, Polka dots, are fun. However, as fun as they look, they also infuse a lotta personality to any look, thereby elevating your look to an elegance akin to Princess Di’s. Finally, they are classic and timeless!
Shop My Look
Polka dots + stripes-match made in heaven (OOTD)
Today, I’m playing with prints/patterns, much like I did here and here. If you missed the post on how to mix prints, you can see it here. So, the top (which I found at TJmaxx, but I linked some similar pieces) has a peplum cut, that drapes more in the back than front, with balloon sleeves, creating a playful, yet sexy vibe. I paired it with a simple cigarette pants to add some balance, and ground the playful polka dots.
On the other hand, for more depth and interest, I added this striped jacket. The jacket also adds a little androgyny to my look. Finally, adding the belt adds a modern twist to my look while also defining my waistline. The hat is just the topping on the cake…adds a layer of interest. I get that this look may be a bit much of some.
So, if this look is not your cup of tea, I show a couple more twists to the look to change and redefine the vibe. First, styling it with a faux leather vest with ruffles adds a playful, yet edgy look to the ensemble. On the other hand, for a more classy look, I opted for a simple, ankle strap heeled sandals, and a wool coat for a clean and streamlined look. I almost forgot the loafers for a laid back look…Which look do you prefer?
Alternative styling tips
- Lose the striped jacket and pair, instead with a boyfriend blazer like this one or this one. I do like this ruched sleeve one as well
- Style the top with a geometric pencil skirt like this for a chic look
- Or, this ruffle skirt instead, to carry the theme of the peplum.
- Infuse some color to you look by styling with this skirt or adding these on trend tassel earrings (great price!)
- For a casual vibe, pair the top with destructed skinny jeans
- Another fun look would be to pair with a polka dot pants, in larger print…I just might try this one.
- Dress it from desk to dinner out by adding these pumps and a small purse/clutch like I did below.
How else would you style this look? Leave me a comment below…I’d love to hear from you. However you choose to style it tho, just own it, and rock it with poise and confidence! Thanks for reading, and see you next week…Ciao!!!