How to wear an all black monochrome look
Although the word Edgy often alludes to Gothic or Rocker qualities, an all-black look also lends to the edgy vibe. I also get how it can come off as too strong or too stiff. Nevertheless, edgy can also be chic and sophisticated, see this post here. In my opinion, we all possess some edginess within us, even so, the degree to which we choose to explore or express that edginess is what matters. Check out this look here.
Shop the Post
That being said, Black expresses sophistication, glamour, and class, such as portrayed in black tie events and the LBD. Wearing all black can also be empowering and sexy. Not withstanding, if you love an all black look, here are a few tips to help you stand out. First, because black monochrome look can be sort of blah, be sure to add some interest to your look by using statement making accessories like statement necklaces, earrings, and attention grabbing bag or shoes.
Secondly, play and add items with textures, like leather, faux fur, feathers, and fringes. These add depth and interest as well. Thirdly, opt to add a belt to create definition for your waistline, even over coats. Finally, showing a little skin goes a long way to cut down the stiff vibe.
How to wear an all black monochrome look (OOTD)
Today, I’m styling an open panel trench with ruffles, and I decided to go all classic black adding textures and details that offset the structured, stiff, or formal vibe of the black monochrome look. I love the simplicity of this look, though made interesting by my spiked cutout boots, the faux leather, and pantyhose to add some texture.
However, to contrast my heavily spiked boots, the open panel trench with it’s ruffles lends a subtle playful vibe to my look. These heels were previously styled here, here, and here. It just keeps showing up understandably, cos it adds an appreciable amount of edge to any look.
Although heads wraps or turbans are on trend, my reason for donning it, is because of the bad hair day, week or month I’ve been having. The scarf certainly does come in handy, as it lends an ethnic, cultural and retro vibe, see this post here
Alternative styling tips
This level of edgy not your thing? Fortunately, here are a few tips to help you modify this look, and dial down the edgy factor.
- To soften this look, ditch the spiked boots and pantyhose, add [amazon_textlink asin=’B076FKXGNG’ text=’this’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’vivellefash0e-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’f71a2203-c003-11e8-957c-4565c9ef2717′] instead
- for an on trend look with street style cred, pair with these [amazon_textlink asin=’B0714BHDY9′ text=’grandpa’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’vivellefash0e-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’200d3a85-c004-11e8-b856-1fcdf72122a6′] sneaks
- switch the black trench for these instead
- style it like I did below, but add an accessory to soften your look, like this[amazon_link asins=’B06XPGJRTN’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’vivellefash0e-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’f69226d4-c006-11e8-8cc0-8315a7c34d76′] or this[amazon_link asins=’B073RFK49Y’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’vivellefash0e-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’1432883a-c007-11e8-9ae3-37535641ea8c’]
- style the trench over a dress, like [amazon_textlink asin=’B01G78VNLS’ text=’this one’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’vivellefash0e-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’37a3b685-c007-11e8-9bdd-dfd66f9b01d7′]
- the trench can also be styled over this[amazon_link asins=’B01FZIKMHC’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’vivellefash0e-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’57f30b3b-c007-11e8-b69f-5db8deecdc2d’]
In the end, however you choose to style it, own it and rock it with poise and confidence.
Thanks for stopping by, and see you next week…Ciao!!!
Florals are always in style, so to balance out my all black look and, I opted for these floral pumps, which also serves as a point of interest
In addition, showing some skin on my legs amps up the sex appeal without compromising modesty